To learn English, it is important to make a habit of reading regularly. Here are
- If you are in your home country and thinking about coming to the UK, do your
research from information written in English, not in your own language. This will
be good preparation for you, and the information will probably be more accurate.
- Read this website and the pages to which it links. You will learn a lot of vocabulary
which you will need to use when living abroad, travelling, working or studying.
Make this site (or some other website written in English) your home page
when you connect to the internet, or add it to your favourites.
- If you are Japanese or Korean, you may find the following free tool helpful
when looking at the internet: http://www.popjisyo.com.
Enter a website's address (for example http://www.ukstudentlife.com)
and choose "English to Japanese" or "English to Korean". When
you look at the web pages, if you put the cursor over a word you can see a dictionary
definition of that word. Double-click on words which you do not understand and
you can create a list of vocabulary - you can send this list to yourself by e-mail
so that you can study it later.
- Read a British newspaper. For information, see: English/Reading/Newspapers.
- Subscribe to a British magazine in a subject which interests you. Some magazines
are listed on the page: English/Reading/Magazines.
- Read books by British authors: English/Reading/Literature,
or poems by British poets: English/Reading/Poetry.
- Try to read English these regularly during your spare time; for example, when
travelling or after work.
- Exchange letters, e-mails or Messenger messages with a British friend. As well
as improving your reading skills, you will also practice writing. For more details,
Back to top
Improve English writing skills: English/Writing
Improve English speaking skills: English/Speaking
Improve English listening skills: English/Listening
British films: Britain/Films
Home page: Home
Back to top
© UK Student Life 2002-2009
* Search this website (www.ukstudentlife.com) or the web: